Especially during COVID times, it’s better to avoid unnecessary air travel. It is better that we do not travel unless absolutely required and especially so when we have a newborn baby traveling with us
Most pediatricians feel a child after two weeks of age is ready to travel in domestic airlines and 6 to 8 weeks to travel internationally.
Children who are born premature, having chronic lung problems or heart issues should consult their doctor before making any travel plans.
What are the things to keep in mind for healthy babies
- Reach the airport early so that you have sufficient time to check-in and avoid crowds
- Try to maintain social distancing and Hand hygiene
- Be the first or last to get inside Or coming out of the aircraft to avoid queues
- Try to breastfeed the child as much possible to ensure baby does not get any ear pain due to cabin pressure
- Flight cabin could be cold and ensure babies are wearing extra layer of clothes.